Search

Demonbunnys
Demonbunnys
My Goldfish EATS other fish...
Is there anything I can do about my goldfish Damien eating other fish? He's been trying to eat my female beta and I dont have anything to move her into without worrying about her eating (or beating up) my tadpoles or my other fish.
6/1/2008 2:41:44 PM Reply To Post
ajk925
ajk925
RE: My Goldfish EATS other fish...
Hello! I just got some goldfish about 2 months ago and they are hungry fish! I am definately a rookie when it comes to fish but I was always under the impression that Beta's only fight with Beta's? I have always owned male Beta's and they were in a community tank with guppies, cory cats, algae eaters and a silver fish (no idea what it is) and never any problems with the Beta attacking. He has charged a new fish a couple of times but gave up after a half hour and that was it. My goldfish seem to just want to eat constantly and I am missing a guppie. So now i feed my goldfish 3 times a day. The rest of my fish are accounted for now. Good luck with your fish.
6/9/2008 11:14:06 PM Reply To Post
muddymom3
muddymom3
You can try dividing your tank - that way you don't have to get more filtration etc. You can buy tank dividers at most pet stores, or you can make one out of heavy duty 'plastic canvas' (in craft stores near yarn, even walmart carries some!)If you have a rectangular tank, it's easy - you cut the plastic canvas to the width that will fit in the tank, then get some of those plastic strips that come with the old style report covers - available at walmart or at office supply stores - you know the kind I mean - they have a clear plastic cover 'sheet' and a colored plastic strip that slides over the left edge of the clear cover once the pages are inside - and the strip 'binds' it all together (or you can use the black plastic strips that come with a really simple type of 'poster frame' - also sold by walmart right next to the posters) Cut the strips to the depth of your aquarium and slide them over the long edges of the plastic canvas (they'll help hold the plastic canvas straight up and down) You might need to weight the bottom down (plastic has a tendency to want to float!) or bury the bottom in the substrate, or figure out another way to anchor it to the sides (clamps? paper clips? magnets?) Water can flow through the plastic canvas - but fish can't. I am sure there would be a way to divide a round bowl, or other odd shape, the canvas is cheap so you can experiment a bit!

Good luck!
6/21/2008 10:31:23 PM Reply To Post
fluffanutter
fluffanutter
Goldfish are eating and pooping machines - they need lots of food and lots of cleaning!

Also, they're cold water fish, while bettas are tropical fish. They shouldn't be kept in the same tank at all, because the cooler temps that goldfish would be comfortable at stress the betta and the warmer temps that the betta is comfy at would stress out the goldfish.

Bettas are really solitary fish (they just like you to pay attention to them), and usually do best in their own (preferably heated and most likely filtered) tank (regardless of gender). So my advice would be to invest in a 2.5 gallon mini-tank for her.

Hope everyone does well!

Edit: Almost forgot! Goldfish do best in large filtered tanks. Large because they can grow ridiculously large, and filtered because they just produce so much waste.

[Last Update On 10/2/2008 9:56:07 AM]

10/2/2008 9:53:44 AM Reply To Post
froglady99
froglady99
How big is your goldfish? If he's a lot bigger than the betta, that could be part of the problem. A lot of times fish, frogs, and animals like that will eat other animals just because they're smaller and therefore look like food to them.
11/6/2008 10:54:43 PM Reply To Post
ArthurFonzarelli
ArthurFonzarelli
i no longer have my aquariums running but for a time i had 3 salt water tanks and one thing i learned is that fish are divided into groups , some are aggressive and some are just passive .

for example - if you wanted a puffer and a lion fish , they will do ok together , heck i even added a trigger into the tank and it worked out fine .

but if i were to have added say a smaller group of passive fish - they'd all be eaten by each of the other 3 .

its just some are predetors and some are flight fish .

i dont know a lot bout gold fish but it seems you should research what they are compatable with and make sure theres enough room in your tank for each to have their own territory as most fish find their own den and protect it .

11/30/2008 9:08:55 AM Reply To Post
se1an
se1an
Was it a feeder?If it is you have a dyed carp.My ate my frog,minnows and still growing.You should either get rid of the betta or goldfish.
1/7/2009 5:02:49 PM Reply To Post
Lolafish
Lolafish
Male bettas must be kept in their own tanks...alone. Only female bettas can be kept more than one fish at a time. Do not mix species.

Goldfish especially must be kept alone with only other goldfish. And single tailed goldfish should not be mixed with double tailed goldfish.

Goldfish are very dirty fish, and have much different water needs than tropical fish.
4/17/2009 9:33:21 PM Reply To Post
misplacedsooner
misplacedsooner
my wife is the betta keeper mainly although i keep some wild caught exotic ones. she has a male betta in most of her tanks and they do fine with tetras,and rasboras. some barbs are very nippy and will nip the bettas fins eventually killing it. female bettas are a different story, you can keep several of them in a tank with no problems at all. ive even seen males and/or males and females kept togather in heavily planted tanks that were good size.
1/30/2010 1:28:03 AM Reply To Post