Search

Ambrosia12
Ambrosia12
what people foods can you give a guinea pig?
my guinea pig rosy seems bored with her normal treats, such as baby carrots,and broccoli, what other people foods can i give her for treats?
my username is ambrosia12, my name is sarah, somehow contact me if you have any idea.
12/5/2008 7:17:14 PM Reply To Post
zoocrew
zoocrew
RE: what people foods can you give a guinea pig?
Guinea pigs can eat lots of different people foods, mostly fruits and vegetables, but could probably have some grains as well like cereal.

When I worked with small animals we used to give them oranges and parsley. They liked fresh herbs, and the occasional apple piece.

You can always look up online "healthy guinea pig diet" and it should bring up some other great suggestions.
12/5/2008 8:43:17 PM Reply To Post
jaynemoggy
jaynemoggy
My piggies adore fresh oranges. An excellent book that i consult on a daily basis is the guineapiglopedia (I think that's how it's spelt - my copy is at my parents from when they piggy sat!). I also feed mine apples, grapes and banana.
12/27/2008 1:35:23 PM Reply To Post
lacyamadeusmom
lacyamadeusmom
Hello, I'm new here. But, I have had guinea pigs for 25 years off and on. Mostly on. I give my piggies lawn grass..they love it. It cannot be recently fertilized or have any pest control chemicals or animal urine on it.
I just pull about 4 cups of grass and fill a bucket then drop it through the top of the cage.
I also give them apples and bananas..one like bananas and one likes oranges. They can be picky about these things. Apples always win.
I haven't posted my piggies yet, but I will later.
In a pinch I feed them rolled oats..the five minute kind or irish ground, not cooked..also corn flakes..be careful to get the low sugar kind..the generic has less sugar than the brand names.
During summer I give corn on the cob..break a fresh cob in half and split it..never have any complaints and they're usually done by morning. The dog and the rats like it too. Very fattening..use moderation.
12/28/2008 1:08:38 AM Reply To Post
SuzanneDeAz
SuzanneDeAz
Our guinea pigs like to eat watermelon and catalope.
1/9/2009 5:41:25 PM Reply To Post
magz1342
magz1342
i give my guinea pig grass, apples, lettuce, bread, crackers
1/9/2009 7:40:49 PM Reply To Post
GreenLlama
GreenLlama
Our guineas love lettuce (romaine), carrots, green peppers, red peppers, cucumbers, cilantro. Sometimes they get fruits for a treat, too. They love apples, but they are not too sure about oranges yet. They also love watermelon, mostly the rind. So I usually cut off the part I'm going to eat, leaving a bit of pink , and give them the rest, they love it!
1/13/2009 11:29:19 AM Reply To Post
mkraemer804
mkraemer804
You can give them all the things people have mentioned just dont give them too much citrus, it can give them mouth sores. DONT give them potatoe products, beans, onions, or cabbage they will cause gastric problems. also dont give them meats or dairy. My guinea pig likes grapes once in a while. Only give them romaine lettuce not iceburg. Good luck.
1/13/2009 11:33:24 AM Reply To Post
xtremeroswellian
xtremeroswellian
Veggies and fruits. Mine especially love celery (chopped into really tiny bites as they can choke easily), bell peppers, blueberries (mine go crazy for these!), watermelon (in small amounts--high water/sugar content), romaine lettuce, and Timothy hay! :D
1/22/2009 11:52:52 AM Reply To Post
mommyofrabbits
mommyofrabbits
i give my guinea pig romain lettuce, carrots, yogart treats, timothy hay, she seems to love it all.
3/23/2009 1:58:46 AM Reply To Post
sargeant
sargeant
from all that i have read and seen here on the blog it will depend on what your pig's tastes are. the more important thing is to make sure that they have a daily source of vitamin c since they do not maintain it.
grass, timothy hay, clover especially the young clover,
carrots, celery, oranges, melon, cantalope etc. there is also cabbage, romain lettuce, dandelion stems, carrots, apples at times, found out that the pigs we have don't like that type, there are all sorts of foods, recommendation is to go to a breeder or your vet for a list of foods recommended for a healthy pig also doesn't hurt to check out the library, they will have all sorts of books on the health and feeding of a pig.
4/6/2009 10:34:36 AM Reply To Post
nancy8615
nancy8615
hi,i raised guinea pigs,they loved apples,lettuce , carrots and celery
2/13/2012 1:24:14 PM Reply To Post
Hammynpiggies
Hammynpiggies
You can feed guinea pigs....
Watermelon not too much just one small slice a week
Carrots they need lots of these. One carrot per piggy a day
Lettuce. Only little hem or romaine not iceburg!
Porridge oats, optional DO NOT FEED TO MANY!!!!!
Leah
11/9/2012 4:13:10 PM Reply To Post