Search

AsElectra
AsElectra
Dog who wont pee in rain
So my Lily will not go pee int he rain and it has been raining all day. I take her to work with me and go out a bunch of times a day. I have taken her out when it is lightly raining and she still will not go. Currently she is on antibiotics for UTI. I told the Vet about this and he doesn't beleve me but I firmly believe that she is creating thebladder infection from holding too long. I know this can happen for human so I see no reason it cannot for dogs as well.

Any suggestion on what I can do to get her to pee... I can not even take her for a walk she will not go. I would have to drag her and that is not how I want to deal with this.
4/20/2009 3:06:07 PM Reply To Post
Kelsey9
Kelsey9
RE: Dog who wont pee in rain
Hi, my dog will not go out to pee in the rain either!! She refuses to go, so I'm not helping any! Hope someone knows what to tell you, that way I may learn. I will not push my dog out in the rain, love her too much. Good luck.
4/21/2009 5:02:07 PM Reply To Post
pethealthfirst
pethealthfirst
I thought I was the only one! Nikki, a pretty spoiled Westie does not like to get wet, and will hold it for hours if it is raining! I have gotten a large golf umbrella, and I will go with her, and try to keep her as dry as possible, I must look quite funny, as I am bent over quite a bit, so the umbrella works on her. She has a pear tree in her yard, and there is usually a low branch that she will get underneath, where she is not getting wet, and go under that. My husband has been talking about building an awning in a corner of her yard, so she will have a "dry" place to go! If she is already potty trained, you might go back to the basics with treats, like you did when you were training her. Try our holistic treats - www.pethealthfirst.com. Good luck, and let me know if you find something else that works!
4/21/2009 8:27:19 PM Reply To Post
RomeosDad
RomeosDad
Hi,
My Bichon won't go out to pee in the rain either!
Unless... I go with him. Sounds silly but it works. (and no I am not peeing in the rain!) LOL I just go for support! As long as I go stand in the rain with him he will do his business. Otherwise - No chance. and I mean NO chance... he used to hold it all day and all night if he had to.
5/27/2009 12:35:22 PM Reply To Post
chelsea6
chelsea6
I had a Bulldog, and when she was a puppy she wouldn't go either. Then I had an idea.

When it was raining and time to go out, I'd run out to the yard with her while excitedly saying... Go!..Go!..Go!..Go! The first few times, she'd go out with me but wouldn't pee, and yes I got soaked. But I kept at it, and one day she went out in the rain, but she noticed I wasn't running out there with her so she kept wanting to come back in from the rain. I peeked out the door and said GO..Go..Go..GO!!!! So to my amazement she went out to the yard and peed on her own, came running back in while I clapped and said "Good Girl, that's a Good Girl!!!!"

After that she always went out in the rain by herself. And I kept clapping each time she would go. She loved it.
5/27/2009 1:29:08 PM Reply To Post
spunkysmine
spunkysmine
My adorable Spunky won't go out in the rain period! He can't stand getting wet at all...not even when I bathe him. He will only go on our balcony to pee or have a bowl movement so that he doesn't get wet! I bought one of those raincoats with a hood on it but he always tries and succeeds to get it off! I really don't know what to do when it rains and sometimes when it is raining he even pees right in our apartment!! UGH! I really don't know what to do...somebody HELP!!
7/7/2009 1:59:42 PM Reply To Post