Search

redhotz
redhotz
My Maltese Eats Her Feces HELP!!!
I am in dire need of how to get Hayzee Mai our 18 month old Maltese to stop eating her own feces. We are currently using a product from the vet called Copro Ban. We have used a different product about a year ago two rounds and it didn't help. The current product is given each feeding. However, if we miss even one single dose, we have found she will consume her feces. So we're concerned that once we stop the product, it's not going to have been beneficial. She has never been reprimanded for having accidents and she will go outside first thing in the morning. We have puppy pads nearly everywhere we've found her go. We know the people who have her sister, and apparently she did this as well, but only for a short time, and she stopped. We are open to any and all suggestions. She gets to it so fast, we can't get to it. Seems like she does her duty and turns right around and gets to it. I noticed earlier that she had eaten it, and now she's burping/spitting up in her mouth, while holding her, there was a foul smell after I heard her tummy making noise. Please help if you have any advice.
1/26/2010 2:49:51 AM Reply To Post
Anjatheguppy
Anjatheguppy
RE: My Maltese Eats Her Feces HELP!!!
Ok.first off don't kiss her on the mouth.. LOL (sorry couldn't resist) Because of her age it could be a learned thing,Dog's in the wild eat pup's poop to hide scent from something that might find their den and eat the babies. so it is an instinct thing. How many times a day do you feed?? and what are you feeding? She may just find it tasty. I would talk to my vet and make sure that there is no underlying issue.
1/28/2010 3:14:41 PM Reply To Post
ratlover16
ratlover16
She could be eating her food too fast and that could be why she's eating her feces. As far as the weird noises in her tummy, she might have just burped.
6/3/2010 10:38:29 AM Reply To Post
candytn
candytn
Feed her some pinapple it suppose to make it taste bad.
6/4/2010 11:11:28 PM Reply To Post
jessicaandrews25
jessicaandrews25
My dog Dozer did the same thing. I started putting meat tenderizer in his food during each feeding. He finally stopped eating his feces. I'm not sure if the meat tenderizer helped or if he just stopped on his own, but its worth a try. I found the information online....here are the details that I found.

Add Adolph's meat tenderizer: Adolph's meat tenderizer contains an enzyme
that may improve digestion and give stools a taste dogs find objectionable.
Dogs under 15 pounds can take one-quarter teaspoon of Adolph's with every meal.
Give dogs 15 to 30 pounds one-half teaspoon. Dogs weighing 31 to 50 pounds can
take three-quarters teaspoon, and dogs over 50 pounds can take one teaspoon.

I hope this helps

6/13/2010 3:20:45 PM Reply To Post