Search

alwaysroom41more
alwaysroom41more
What can I feed my diabetic cat?
My 17-year-old cat was diagnosed with diabetes 6 weeks ago. Our vet put him on insulin as well as a diabetic diet. We have been giving him Purina DM dry and canned food. At first he ate it well, but now only picks at the dry and won't hardly eat the canned at all. My mother-in-law's vet mentioned "some" of the Fancy Feast varieties or the all meat baby food. We compared labels on the Fancy Feast classic beef, chicken and turkey and found that they are similar to the DM. We have also given him the all meat turkey and chicken baby food, carefully avoiding brands that have added fillers that might include carbs. Has anyone else had experience with picky diabetic eaters? Do you have any recommendations as to what we can safely feed him? Have any of you heard that baby food and Fancy Feast are acceptable alternatives? I'd love to hear from anyone with input! Thank you!
7/21/2010 12:43:34 PM Reply To Post
garybedwell
garybedwell
RE: What can I feed my diabetic cat?
Be VERY careful with those foods the vets talk you into. Keep in mind that MANY vets are not properly informed on feline nutrition, even though they are indeed informed on medical care.

10/9/2010 3:13:48 AM Reply To Post
rmily
rmily
Agree, regarding prescription diets. They are often made of low quality ingredients. Most canned diets you can get at the pet store would be better than dry food. Dry food has too many carbs. The website below has more information and "case studies." It was put together by a veterinarian.
http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/
3/26/2011 6:42:07 PM Reply To Post
dovetime
dovetime
Hello, first of all I would like to tell you I am sorry for your pet. My Gus just passed away from being diabetic and it crushed me. I have test strips left, brand new and will not need them, you are welcome to have them. I would send them to you by mail, at this point it is wasted money but if they can be used it would be great. Any how, my diabetic cat loved to lick and eat fresh fruit and loved yogurt, any flavor. The vet said it was fine because he wouldn't eat enough of any one item to be dangerous for him. He weighed 30 lbs 8 oz. Yes he was huge but we adopted him that way. Grapefruit, bananas, strawberries, bing cherries were his favorite. I am very new to this site and I am not sure how it all works yet but I am sure you can leave a message for me some where, I have the glucometer and $75.00 worth of test strips, I am not asking any thing for them, just don't like to think they are being wasted. Any how, good luck with your cat, remember to put ice cubes in his water bowl, all the time! Have a great day.
3/28/2011 8:17:31 AM Reply To Post
Angel872
Angel872
There's a brand called Merrick that is available in pet food stores, it is low glycemic so it can be given to both diabetic and non-diabetic cats. My cat's favourites are Grammy's Pot Pie and Turducken.

[URL]http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_cat_food.php[/URL]

[Last Update On 9/15/2011 9:34:58 PM]

9/15/2011 9:34:20 PM Reply To Post
MeowNow
MeowNow
One of my cats was diabetic for many years. He lived to be 18 and died from heart problems. I fed him Friskies Senior Beef $ Liver and Pacific Salmon. As well as Purina Special Care or Purina One dry food. The important thing is that your cat eats. All of the prescription diets in the world won't help if your cat won't eat them (none of my cats like them.) Also, canned chicken (located by the tuna in stores) is good.
9/29/2011 9:44:47 AM Reply To Post
MeowNow
MeowNow
It's also important to watch your cat and take him back to the doctor if he's walking around in a trance. That means he's having problems. Keep some honey on hand for emergencies like that.
9/29/2011 9:48:16 AM Reply To Post
MeowNow
MeowNow
This is a good place to check out cat foods. They sell cans seperately and you can order different kinds, to determine what your Kitty likes.

http://www.lukesallnatural.com/wet-cat-food-c-24_28_31.html
9/29/2011 11:20:59 PM Reply To Post
yanghxx
yanghxx
[Deleted on 11/2/2011 9:26:30 AM ]
11/1/2011 11:18:22 PM
xanadu13
xanadu13
Always check the goggle search for the best answers.
2/13/2012 7:55:59 AM Reply To Post